The recipe for this delicious treat may look beyond extensive, & to be completely honest, it isn’t as simple as some of our others, but don’t let it intimidate you! Half the ingredients are optional fillings & toppings so you can make it as complex or simple as you’d like. This time, we chose to just use Nutella as the filling & topping! Tossed a few sprinkles on & called it a day.
If you’re feeling more adventurous, feel free to make larger pop-tarts as well & top them with some of the mini ones!
- for the pop-tarts
- 2¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup butter
- pinch of salt
- for the filling (all are optional, the following is what PLSR used)
- peanut butter
- raspberry jam
- blueberry jam
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 tbsp water
- for the glaze
- 4-6 tbsp lemon juice or vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 drop food coloring
- for the toppings (all are optional, the following is what PLSR used)
- chocolate chips
- peanut butter
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In food processor, combine flour, sugar, butter, & salt.
- Pour mixture into large mixing bowl & add in one egg yolk.
- Knead with your hands until smooth.
- Let sit in refrigerator for 1.5 hours.
- Preheat oven to 360 F.
- Mix in extra egg yolk to dough. Add water in increments of 1 tablespoon as needed to help dough stick together. Place dough on large cutting board & roll out until about 1.5 cm in height.
- Cut dough into even number of tiny rectangles.
- Place half of the rectangles on parchment paper & place 1 tsp of filling directly in center of dough.
- In separate small bowl, combine egg yolk & water.
- Brush the edges of filled dough with egg & water mixture.
- Place evenly sized dough on top of filled dough & press down on sides to close.
- Press the edges of the dough with a fork to secure rectangles together.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool & begin making glaze by combining all ingredients at once in bowl.
- Combine all glaze ingredients & sprinkle or top immediately.
- Add into bowl of milk or eat on their own. Enjoy!
large mixing bowl
large baking sheet