Inspired by our Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe & warmer temperatures ahead, we decided it was time for a new ice cream sandwich recipe. After all, our summers are spent with at least one ice cream cone a day & since it’s not quite that warm out yet, a warm brownie seemed like the perfect middleman for this job. Two full brownies as the “buns” & smooth ice cream in the center? We have a feeling this recipe is one we’ll be making a lot this summer.
Using the brownie recipe from our Brownie Cookie Dough Layered Cake, we made double the brownies & used full sized ones as the base & top of the ice cream sandwiches.
- for the brownie (you'll want to make this recipe twice or double ingredients & baking simultaneously in two separate baking dishes for full size ice cream sandwiches):
- 1 cup flour
- 4 tbsp (half stick) butter, melted
- 2 large tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 cups chocolate chips (your flavor choice!), melted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- for the filling:
- 1.5 quart ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In separate small bowls, melt both butter & chocolate chips.
- In large mixing bowl, pour in all ingredients & mix until combined.
- Pour batter into parchment paper lined 9x9 baking tray.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
- Let cool completely. Repeat entire process. Set aside & let both cool completely.
- Leave one brownie in pan & scoop ice cream on top of it. Smooth ice cream with spatula.
- Lift parchment paper of other brownie out of baking dish. Place solid brownie from tray on top of ice cream. Gently press down.
- Freeze brownie ice cream sandwiches for 4-6 hours. Slice, serve & enjoy!
large mixing bowl
9x9 baking tray
ice cream scooper
spatula or offset spatula