Your favorite childhood meal just got a major update & it’s pretty adorable. We’ve swapped out our typical tomato soup for a tomato cream soup that’s not only delicious but super healthy for you! Instead of using a heavy cream we used the cream from coconut milk to make this recipe taste amazing while still being good to your waistline. The next change to this standard recipe is the grilled cheese accompanying it. The grilled cheese crouton is one of our favorite inventions & it pairs perfectly with this recipe. By cooking the grilled cheese very quickly on high heat we were able to obtain a crunchy texture similar to a crouton with the taste of everyones favorite grilled cheese.
Let’s be honest they’re nothing better than a recipe that looks as good as it tastes & this one does just that. Not to mention it’s not half bad for ya! We imagine we’ll be making this one over & over again in 2017. It’s the total package: cute, delicious, healthy, easy, comforting, & so much more all in one bowl.
- for soup:
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 13.6 oz can coconut milk, *don't shake & use the top cream only!
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried thyme, divided
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- for grilled cheese:
- loaf of bread
- 8 oz block of sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- thyme, dried
- In food processor combine all soup ingredients until smooth. Pour into large saucepan & bring to boil stirring occasionally. Reduce to simmer until ready to serve.
- In large skillet melt 1 tbsp butter over medium high heat. Cut cheese into ½ inch slices & place in between 2 slices of bread. Close sandwich & place on skillet. Cook for 2 minutes pressing down on bread with the back of a spatula, add 1 more tbsp butter, flip sandwich, & cook additional 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted & sandwich is golden brown. Cut into bite sized croutons.
- Serve individually & top with croutons & additional sprinkle of thyme, enjoy!