Fashion, food, & family, Johanna of 101 Things I Love & Oak Street Social truly conquers it all. Today, she shares her family’s Cherry Cake recipe with us & trust me, this is one you do not want to miss. Let’s put it this way, of all the 101 things Johanna loves, we’re pretty certain this is our favorite!
Eating cake is obviously fun. Making cake can be very fun too. But making cake with little helpers is the most fun of all! Johanna’s two daughters assisted her in making this cherry cake that comes from a family recipe. Talk about making sure a recipe gets passed down from generation to generation!
Public Lives: Johanna of 101 Things I Love & Oak St. Social | Secret Recipes: Cherry Cake
Author: Public Lives, Secret Recipes
- for cakes:
- 1 box Duncan Hines butter cake mix
- ¾ cup Crisco oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- for frosting:
- 12 oz large cool whip
- 1 cup sugar
- 16 oz cream cheese
- 1 stick margarine
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 can cherry pie filling (can substitute for blueberry!)
- In mixing bowl, beat all cake ingredients with mixer for 2-3 minutes. Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Divide batter into 3 cake pans & bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- In the other mixing bowl, beat sugar, cream cheese, & margarine until creamy.
- Add in vanilla & cool whip. Beat until of spreading consistency.
- Once cakes have cooled, frost the first cake & add ⅓ of pie filling.
- Repeat step 5 on second & third layers. Frost the outside of the cake & enjoy!