These everything bagel bites are, well, EVERYTHING. Not only are they super easy to make, they’re beyond delicious & make you look super profesh in the kitchen. (sidenote: regardless of if you already knew that profesh is an abbreviated version of professional, Google the definition of “profesh” it’s hilarious) Aside from letting the dough rise for about an hour & a half, this recipe isn’t very time consuming either. Once your dough has risen, roll it out flat, cut into squares, & fill with cream cheese as seen in the image below. Wrap those babies up into a ball, sprinkle with equal parts onion flakes, garlic powder, sesame seeds (black & white), & poppy-seeds, pop ’em in the oven & you’re done!
We used one of our all time favorite bread recipes for the dough base. Although this recipe is intended for just that, bread, it can double as a bagel recipe when you sprinkle a bit more sugar (yes, please) on top of it. This sweetens up the dough a bit & keeps the savory flavors in tact as well.
I mean tell me these don’t look drool worthy! Fancy them up by adding chopped chives into your cream cheese (or cheat & buy chive cream cheese, we won’t tell!). There are so many possibilities for these bagels: cinnamon sugar, plain, blueberry, etc. Keep your dough recipe the same & swap out the toppings & filling to create any of these tasty treats.
- 2½ cups flour
- 2¼ tsp instant dry yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2½ tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 egg, room temperature
- ¾ cup whole milk, warmed to 100-110 degrees
- seeds for everything bagels (poppy, sesame, onion, etc.)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- egg wash (1 egg & 1 tbsp water)
- granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- In large mixing bowl, combine flour, yeast, sugar, & salt.
- Whisk dry ingredients until combined.
- Add milk & egg into the dry ingredients & mix everything together.
- Take the dough out of the bowl & place onto cutting board. Knead dough for about 2 minutes. Add butter & continue kneading dough for 3 minutes.
- Put the dough in a lightly greased bowl & cover with saran wrap.
- Let the dough rise for about 1.5 to 2 hours until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out dough & cut into equal squares roughly 4 x 4 inches.
- Take the first square & place a dollop of cream cheese in the center. Fold dough around the cream cheese (if cheese starts oozing out just adjust amount for the next one) & then roll into ball. Use a drop of warm water on your finger to close any creases or lines in the circle. Repeat until all have been used.
- Brush egg wash over tops of each ball of dough. Sprinkle with seeds. Sprinkle with a touch of granulated sugar to sweeten dough. Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool for roughly 5-8 minutes. Serve & enjoy!
small mixing bowl