This past Thanksgiving I made my first apple pie & was instantly obsessed with it. The warm caramel sauce, tart Granny Smith apples, & of course the flakey pie crust resulted in a delicious combination. So with my love for food hybrids in mind, I set out to create something using the same apple pie recipe I had already conquered. I came up with tons of ideas (I’m a total list girl), some of which will be in upcoming posts (stay tuned!) & the first which I decided to make, this recipe, the apple pie layered cake.
In the past I’ve done a lot with layered cakes: chocolate covered strawberry, funfetti, circus cookie, cotton candy…see told you I was a list person, & many more. This felt like an easy way to transition apple pie into another dessert concept. By replacing the flakey crust with soft caramel cakes, this made for one delicious apple pie cake.
As for the decorating, I kept it fairly simple. First, I layered one slice of cake followed by a layer of frosting & topped with caramel apple chunks. As I began layering the other slices on top I got a bit worried as the cake was beginning to ooze caramel sauce everywhere! Not a terrible problem to have but none-the-less, worrisome for a baker. As I topped off the final third layer of cake I realized the deconstructed, naked cake look was actually quite appetizing. It allows whoever is eating the cake (cough, cough me, myself, & I!) to see exactly the treat they’re in for. A few drops of frosting on top & some whole cinnamon sticks for decoration made this cake easy as pie (ha!) to create.
- for the cake:
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 heaping tsp baking powder
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled & chopped
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter softened
- 2 eggs
- for the frosting:
- 8 tbsp salted butter, softened
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup caramel sauce
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp heavy whipping cream
- for the apple pie filling:
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled & chopped
- ⅓ cup caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In large mixing bowl combine all cake ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Spray 5 Wilton cake pans with baking spray. Pour even amounts of batter into each pan. Bake for 12 minutes or until toothpick is inserted & comes out clean. Let cakes cool completely.
- Heat chopped apples & caramel sauce over medium heat in medium saucepan for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so. Set aside.
- In medium mixing bowl, combine all frosting ingredients. Stir together with electric mixer until fluffy.
- Place first layer of cake on cake stand. Top with frosting & apple pie filling. Repeat with desired layered of cake. Top with leftover ingredients, serve, & enjoy!
Wilton Layered Cake Pans
medium mixing bowl