Eating healthy on a budget can seem nearly impossible at times. Organic & natural foods tend to be more expensive which can sometimes deter people from purchasing them Yet the longterm benefits of eating healthy completely outweigh the costs. Someone once said to me, “You can either pay more for the healthy foods now or you’ll end up paying for your health later”. I couldn’t agree more with this statement but I do know that spending on healthy foods isn’t always attainable for all. That’s why I was determined to create a delicious recipe that doesn’t break the bank & is super healthy.
These lettuce wraps are packed with protein & cost only about $10 to create! Plus majority of the ingredients (peanut butter, sriracha, almonds, onion, garlic–buy the minced jars they’re delicious & last quite some time, etc.) come in larger packages allowing you to use them multiple times in creating this recipe or others. I went to Trader Joe’s for my ingredients where the turkey cost me $5, garbanzo beans & onion both $.99, lettuce $2 totaling $8 for those ingredients. The others I already had in the house but are relatively affordable & like I said, last quite some time. One of the ingredients I’m obsessed with is the California Olive Ranch Olive Oil. It’s flavor is super fresh & bold making it the perfect pantry staple. The one ingredient that can get pretty costly is almonds. You can either skip them or substitute them for another nut.
This recipe makes enough to serve four generously. I ate it for lunch & dinner two days in a row & was completely full after. Something that rarely happens… Plus I didn’t get sick of it at all! Another thing that rarely happens. I drizzled mine with extra Sriracha because I’m addicted but if spice isn’t your thing just follow the recipe below.
- 1 can chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- ¼ sweet onion, sliced thin
- 14 crushed almonds
- 1 package all natural 99% fat free ground turkey breast
- 4 tsp Sriracha
- 3 tbsp natural creamy peanut butter
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce
- Rinse lid of chickpeas. Open with can opener & drain liquid (can use strainer). Pour water into can of chickpeas & rinse again (this eliminates much of the unnecessary sodium).
- Pour olive oil into saute pan & turn heat to medium high. Slice onions & mince garlic. Add to oil. Cook until onions are translucent about 5-6 minutes. Add turkey to saute pan. Using spatula, mix turkey in with ingredients already in the pan.
- Let cook until completely white & cooked through. Add chickpeas to mixture & cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Crush almonds. Remove saute pan from heat & stir in almonds.
- Place Sriracha & peanut butter in large Ziploc bag. Add turkey mixture to bag as well. Seal tightly & shake until mixture is coated with sauces.
- Clean lettuce & place mixture inside center of lettuce. Enjoy!
large saute pan
***Olive Oil C/O California Olive Ranch