Eating healthy on a budget can seem nearly impossible at times. Organic & natural foods tend to be more expensive which can sometimes deter people from purchasing them Yet the longterm benefits of eating healthy completely outweigh the costs. Someone once said to me, “You can either pay more for the healthy foods now or you’ll end up paying for your health later”. I couldn’t agree more with this statement but I do know that spending on healthy foods isn’t always attainable for all. That’s why I was determined to create a delicious recipe that doesn’t break the bank & is super healthy.
These lettuce wraps are packed with protein & cost only about $10 to create! Plus majority of the ingredients (peanut butter, sriracha, almonds, onion, garlic–buy the minced jars they’re delicious & last quite some time, etc.) come in larger packages allowing you to use them multiple times in creating this recipe or others. I went to Trader Joe’s for my ingredients where the turkey cost me $5, garbanzo beans & onion both $.99, lettuce $2 totaling $8 for those ingredients. The others I already had in the house but are relatively affordable & like I said, last quite some time. One of the ingredients I’m obsessed with is the California Olive Ranch Olive Oil. It’s flavor is super fresh & bold making it the perfect pantry staple. The one ingredient that can get pretty costly is almonds. You can either skip them or substitute them for another nut.
This recipe makes enough to serve four generously. I ate it for lunch & dinner two days in a row & was completely full after. Something that rarely happens… Plus I didn’t get sick of it at all! Another thing that rarely happens. I drizzled mine with extra Sriracha because I’m addicted but if spice isn’t your thing just follow the recipe below.
- 1 can chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- ¼ sweet onion, sliced thin
- 14 crushed almonds
- 1 package all natural 99% fat free ground turkey breast
- 4 tsp Sriracha
- 3 tbsp natural creamy peanut butter
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce
- Rinse lid of chickpeas. Open with can opener & drain liquid (can use strainer). Pour water into can of chickpeas & rinse again (this eliminates much of the unnecessary sodium).
- Pour olive oil into saute pan & turn heat to medium high. Slice onions & mince garlic. Add to oil. Cook until onions are translucent about 5-6 minutes. Add turkey to saute pan. Using spatula, mix turkey in with ingredients already in the pan.
- Let cook until completely white & cooked through. Add chickpeas to mixture & cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Crush almonds. Remove saute pan from heat & stir in almonds.
- Place Sriracha & peanut butter in large Ziploc bag. Add turkey mixture to bag as well. Seal tightly & shake until mixture is coated with sauces.
- Clean lettuce & place mixture inside center of lettuce. Enjoy!
large saute pan
***Olive Oil C/O California Olive Ranch
Biana @ Blovedboston says
I haven’t done a lettuce wrap in a while – definitely need to try this! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston
Thanks so much, Biana!! You’re going to love it! xo
Amy Ann says
I love lettuce wraps! Great idea to add chickpeas.
Straight A Style
Thanks so much, Amy Ann!! Enjoy! xo
Sarah Lagen says
These look really good! I’m all about eating healthier and at home more! I usually don’t buy organic fruits/ veggies… I figure if we eat more fresh foods that it’s a good start! I’m adding this to my recipe list now!
You’re going to love these, Sarah!! Enjoy! xo
I’ve always wondered how to make these! Thanks for sharing!
Heidi || Wishes & Reality
Enjoy, Heidi!! They’re super easy & delicious! xo
Chelsea M. says
This looks so healthy and hearty! We do tuna salad lettuce wraps sometimes and they’re so delish!
Chow Down USA
That sounds delicious, Chelsea!! Enjoy! xo
This looks amazing! I can’t wait to try this recipe! Pinning:)
Heidi || Wishes & Reality
Yay, so glad to hear that, Heidi!! Enjoy! xo
michele lee says
I just made this and it was delicious!! It was easy, fast and delicious!! Thanks so much! xo
Yay so glad to hear!! Thanks for the feedback! xo
These are the best!! So simple and easy. I totally forgot about them and cannot wait to make these this week again 🤤
Yayyyy! This makes me so, so happy! Enjoy!
Might be one of my favorite of your recipes!!
YAY!! Love that!