Making your own English Muffins is surprisingly easy & the payoff is well worth the time you put into making them. While it takes about 2 hours in total making these, about an hour & a half of that time is just letting the dough rise. Yes, that means with about 30 minutes of effort & just a few ingredients, most of what you already likely have in the house, you can have your own batch of freshly made English Muffins that taste even better than store bought ones.
- 2 cups milk (we used whole)
- 2 heaping tbsp honey
- 1 packet instant active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 5 cups bread flour
- pinch of salt
- Microwave the milk for 15 seconds until warm to the touch (you don’t want it too hot! if you have a thermometer, you’ll want it about 110F). Stir in the honey & then add in the yeast. Gently stir it all together & let sit for 5 minutes.
- Melt the butter & let cool for 2 minutes. Add melted butter & egg to yeast mixture. Stir to combine.
- Stir in the salt & then add in the flour, one cup at a time. Once all the flour is mixed in, continue to mix dough for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Spray large bowl with baking spray & add dough to that bowl. Cover with clean dish towel & set aside for 1 hour in a warm place to let the dough double in size.
- Sprinkle flour onto flat surface & divide the dough in half (it should be pretty sticky at this point). Divide each half of dough into 6-8 (depending on how big you want the muffins to be) equal sized pieces. Roll each ball into a circle & then press flat with your hands until English Muffin shape is formed.
- Place dough muffins onto parchment lined baking sheet & sprinkle with cornmeal. Flip each muffin over & sprinkle the other side with cornmeal as well.
- Preheat oven to 325F. Heat cast iron skillet over medium heat, spray lightly with baking spray & place 3 muffins (or however many you can fit) onto the skillet. Cook 1-3 minutes or until medium brown on the bottom, flip & repeat. Place muffins back onto baking sheet when done & bake for 10 minutes. Serve toasted with butter, jam, etc. Enjoy!
microwave safe bowl
cast iron skillet
SHOP THIS POST:
PIN FOR LATER: