As the holidays quickly approach and we prepare for hibernation I sat down with Toni & Kelly of Sunflowers & Lace to get their family’s secret Apple Crisp recipe which is sure to be a hit at any holiday party (or any party at all) you may be attending.
Kelly & Toni’s Apple Crisp
- For The Mix:
- ½ to 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ to 1 cup white sugar
- ½ to 1 cup flour (enough to coat all the apples, as the flour allows the apples to stay intact)
- apple pie spice &/or cinnamon to taste
- *the ½ to 1 cup is up to the users discretion in most cases, the more the merrier!
- For The Topping:
- roughly 10 average sized apples, sliced thin. (recommended: Cortland, Gala, Honeycrisp, & Pink Ladies)
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons of cinnamon (alternative: pie spice)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees (F). Position a rack in the center of the oven.
- Peel the apples and slice thin.
- Place apples in a large bowl and mix in the brown sugar, flour & cinnamon.
- Pile coated apples into pie dish.
- Mix together flour, brown sugar, & butter for topping in a mini chopper or work with a fork or pastry blender until crumbly.
- Sprinkle the toppings over the apples in the pie dish evenly until entire top is covered. Pat down to smooth out top & wipe away excess toppings on the side of dish so it does not burn. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
baking tray (for any spillage during baking)
Get To Know Sunflowers & Lace:
For two sisters who don’t technically work in the fashion industry these two sure know a heck of a lot about style. From Toni’s second bedroom of a closet (I’m talking closet the size of Carrie Bradshaw’s entire apartment) to their perfectly accessorized wrists, Sunflowers & Lace is one site not to be missed.
When you first meet Kelly & Toni you instantly realize how they take the expression “two peas in a pod” to a whole other level. These two sisters practically finish each others every sentence and are entirely on the EXACT same page…well, unless we’re talkin’ dinner dates.
Where: West Bloomfield, MI –> Chicago, IL
Kelly: Central Michigan & New England Institue of Art; Toni: Western Michigan University & Illinois Institute of Art
What is your absolute, “can’t sleep, reach for the stars, over the fence, World Series kind of stuff” need it everyday food: K: Oh, Italian specifically Lasanga. T: I could eat sushi all day, everyday. Orrr anything with an avocado. I make avocado toast in the morning with egg whites and crushed red pepper flakes on whole wheat toast, it’s really yummy. Avocado takes over everything. K: Couldn’t agree more, not a day goes by where my Instagram feed isn’t filled with pictures of avocado toast, with an egg on it, at the farmers market…you get the picture. K: As for drinks, you can see me drinking smoothies all year round. T: COFFEE! K: Ya, I need an I.V. of coffee.
If you could have dinner with one person who would it be: K: All I can think of is Ryan Gosling because he would just be phenomenal to look at across the table. T: Umm…probably Betty White, she would be SO entertaining.
Follow Kelly & Toni:
shop their look: yellow blazer | leather skirt | plaid top