This lemon shortbread bars recipe is my favorite, especially this time of year! As the weather starts to get a bit nicer, we are all eager for refreshing treats and this recipe is wildly refreshing due to the lemon flavor! Yet, it still has that cozy, comforting piece to it given it’s a shortbread bar. Can you see why I love them especially this time of year? No matter when you make them, they’re sure to be a hit! Aside from them tasting like little bites of heaven, they make your house smell like a delicious bakery and who doesn’t love that!
Do you need to refrigerate lemon bars after baking?
Since this recipe doesn’t have eggs or any ingredients that need to be refrigerated after baking, you’re able to keep them at room temperature. You’re of course welcome to keep them in the fridge if you prefer the coolness but I typically keep my in an airtight container.
SHOP THIS POST:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup coconut sugar (or light brown sugar)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla bean extract
- ½ lemon, freshly squeezed
- 1-2 tsp lemon zest, to taste
- pinch of salt
- 1¾ cups AP flour
- optional: ½ cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 9x9 baking dish with parchment paper.
- In large mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar. Mix together using a hand or stand mixer until fully incorporated (roughly 5 min).
- Mix in the vanilla extract, zest, salt and flour until just combined. *If using white chocolate chips, stir them in now.
- Pour the dough into your parchment lined baking dish and press down to create an even layer with a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes and let cool 5 minutes before slicing. Serve and enjoy!
large mixing bowl
hand mixer (stand mixer works too!)
PIN FOR LATER: