If you’ve been following me on Instagram for sometime now (thank you, I love you) then you’ve surely seen me post about mini Pop-Tarts as cereal. If you haven’t, your breakfast game is about to be changed forever.
Pop-tarts are amazing. Homemade Pop-Tarts are even better. Mini Pop-Tarts are even more fabulous. Mini Pop-Tarts in a bowl of milk as cereal, well let me tell you these will blow your mind. Weirdly enough, they taste great in a bowl of milk as cereal.
Speaking of cereal, remember when you were younger & all your friends were eating Cookie Crisps for breakfast but your parents insisted on Raisin Bran? No? I’m the only one? Oh, awkward. Well these little monsters put any breakfast cereal to shame, especially you Raisin Bran. With dough similar to a sugar cookie, these delicious little treats are as adorable as they are tasty.
- for the pop-tarts
- 2¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup butter
- pinch of salt
- for the filling (all are optional, the following is what PLSR used)
- peanut butter
- raspberry jam
- blueberry jam
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 tbsp water
- for the glaze
- 4-6 tbsp lemon juice or vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 drop food coloring
- for the toppings (all are optional, the following is what PLSR used)
- chocolate chips
- peanut butter
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In food processor, combine flour, sugar, butter, & salt.
- Pour mixture into large mixing bowl & add in one egg yolk.
- Knead with your hands until smooth.
- Let sit in refrigerator for 1.5 hours.
- Preheat oven to 360 F.
- Mix in extra egg yolk to dough. Add water in increments of 1 tablespoon as needed to help dough stick together. Place dough on large cutting board & roll out until about 1.5 cm in height.
- Cut dough into even number of tiny rectangles.
- Place half of the rectangles on parchment paper & place 1 tsp of filling directly in center of dough.
- In separate small bowl, combine egg yolk & water.
- Brush the edges of filled dough with egg & water mixture.
- Place evenly sized dough on top of filled dough & press down on sides to close.
- Press the edges of the dough with a fork to secure rectangles together.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool & begin making glaze by combining all ingredients at once in bowl.
- Combine all glaze ingredients & sprinkle or top immediately.
- Add into bowl of milk or eat on their own. Enjoy!
Check out the full how-to video below!
Recipe & Instructions: Public Lives, Secret Recipes
It looks so cute and appetizing! Thanks for the recipe:)
Public Lives, Secret Recipes says
Thank you! So glad to hear you enjoyed 🙂
Hey Caitlin I’m not big fan of raspberry, is there any other type of filling that you would suggest? Other than that this recipe looks amazing, thank you sharing!
Hi Jessica! Thanks so much for following along! You’re going to love this recipe 🙂 I’ve also used Nutella (https://publiclivessecretrecipes.com/2015/09/mini-nutella-pop-tart-cereal-recipe.html) & other types of jams (strawberry, blueberry, etc.). Some other options that could be fun are peanut butter, chocolate, etc. Enjoy! xo