We can all thank our seventh grade science teacher (or your chemistry obsessed Dad if you’re like me) for inspiring this recipe. You’ve surely seen, or if you’re lucky, experienced firsthand what the combination of Mentos & Coca-Cola can do. With all the hype it’s been getting lately you’ve probably also seen that guy who covered himself in Mentos & jumped in a tub of Coca-Cola, which I’m really hoping you haven’t experienced firsthand…
So what does all this nonsense about exploding soda have to do with a dessert recipe? Well Public Lives, Secret Recipes hs decided to turn this nightmare of a combination into one that’ll ignite your insides, literally & figuratively. Enter the Coca-Cola & Mentos Cupcake. Coca-Cola batter topped with Mentos Cola frosting that is dangerously good. What, you think it sounds awful? I’m here to prove you wrong. The Coca-Cola flavoring in the batter levels out with the cocoa powder while the frosting, well, thats just mixed in with a ton of sugar so you know its got to be good! Try for yourself with the recipe below.
Not as obsessed with Mentos as I am? Not dare devil enough to give this recipe a shot? Then I have some additional toppings for you. Stick with a classic Coca-Cola theme & choose Haribo’s Happy Cola Gummi Candy. Or, yes I have that many topping options for you, you’re welcome. Choose Maraschino cherries to get a Cherry Coca-Cola flavor. Best part about that topping? You already have to buy the cherries for the cupcake recipe! Easy peasy cherry squeezy.
- For Cupcake:
- 2.5 cups Coca-Cola
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Maraschino cherry juice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- For Frosting:
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tbsp Coca-Cola
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pack Mentos
- Line cupcake tray with liners. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In large mixing bowl, pour all cupcake ingredients into bowl & mix on medium speed with handheld mixer until combined.
- Pour batter into liners & bake for 20-24 minutes, or until toothpick is inserted & comes out clean.
- While cupcakes are baking, in medium mixing bowl, combine all frosting ingredients until smooth. Set frosting in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Once cupcakes have fully cooled, top with frosting & Mentos!
- Explode! Oops, I mean, enjoy!