Everyone knows a standard red velvet cake comes with cream cheese frosting. So how can you take that frosting to the next level? Add in some cookies & cream Pop-Tarts!
Cookies & Cream Pop-Tart Frosting
Author: Public Lives, Secret Recipes
- for cake:
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- water (however much the box calls for)
- eggs (however much the box calls for)
- butter (substituted for however much oil the box calls for)
- for frosting:
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- 2 cookies & cream Pop-Tarts (bonus points if you make your own Pop-Tarts!)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- In large mixing bowl, combine all cake ingredients. Whisk together until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 350 F & line cake pans with baking spray.
- Fill cake pans evenly with batter & bake for 10 minutes or until toothpick is inserted & comes out clean.
- While cakes are baking, combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter, & sour cream in mixer. Beat on medium speed until well combined.
- Add in the vanilla & broken pieces of Pop-Tarts. Beat on medium-high until fluffy.
- Place frosting in fridge for 1 hour.
- Remove cakes from pans & place one on top of the other with layers of frosting in between.
- Top with extra frosting & pieces of Pop-Tarts. Enjoy!