Doesn’t it seem everyone has some sort of gluten-dairy-soy-everything intolerance these days? What about the rise in people who judge flavor, texture, aroma and so much more in every bite they take? The key to avoiding these newfound downsides to food is versatility. Luckily for you, this recipe can be crafted in several ways: whether you substitute bread for a toasted crostini, nix the goat cheese or roll into a lettuce wrap, the possibilities cater to any palate or restrictions.
P.S., adding any extra blueberries you have to a glass or pitcher of water makes for a sweet, subtle flavoring. Just leave in water for 5-10 minutes and voila!
- 2 thick slices of bread (I used a super doughy challah--egg bread)
- ½ pint blueberries
- 2 oz goat cheese
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- In medium skillet combine ½ tbsp butter, blueberries, & sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves about 5 minutes over medium heat. Press down on blueberries with the back of the spatula to release more juices.
- Cut bread using serrated knife into two generous slices. Spread ¼ inch of goat cheese with butter knife onto one side. Using a strainer spoon, add on blueberries. Close sandwich
- Place remaining butter on clean skillet & turn heat onto medium. Let grilled cheese sit for about 4 minutes or until golden brown. Flip & repeat.
- Drizzle with balsamic. Enjoy!