Earlier this week I sat down with Sherrie, head baker of Sweet Mandy B’s, who shared with us not only an incredibly delicious lemon cookie recipe but tons of tips for your at home baking!
If you’re from Chicago you’ve certainly heard of Sweet Mandy B’s, local yet nationally known bakery, made famous for their old fashioned decor & out of this world baked goods. Sherrie, who has been a part of the Sweet Mandy B’sfamily for over 5 years now, serves as the head baker. After previous stints at Tru & The Peninsula, Sherrie turned to Sweet Mandy B’s, & boy are we glad she did. Today she shares with us her very own recipe for lemon cookies that you may even see on the menu one day as their cookie of the month; as if you needed a reason to go back each month! Scroll down for the recipe as well as baking tips from Sherrie herself.
Sherrie’s Baking Tips:
1. adding a pinch of salt to batter will bring out the sweetness in your desserts
2. add baking powder at the beginning of baking, before flour, to incorporate completely
3. always place cookies at least 2 inches apart on baking tray to ensure they won’t blend together
4. Cut 8oz cream cheese into fourths if you need less than total amount to guarantee you’ll use correct amount
stay tuned for more recipes & baking tips from Sherrie as she launches her own personal site soon!
- for the lemon cookie:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened page1image1920
- 1½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- for the lemon glaze:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- ½ cups fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- zest of 4 lemons pinch of salt
- In a mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, sugar, & lemon zest for 2-3 minutes or until light & fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, until incorporated.
- Add the sour cream, baking powder, baking soda, & salt until combined.
- Add the flour; do not over mix. Refrigerate the dough for one hour.
- Line baking tray with parchment paper. Using the cookie scooper, scoop cookies onto parchment paper leaving 2 inches of space in between cookies.
- Bake cookies at 375 F or until golden brown around the edges, rotating halfway through baking.
- Let cookies cool completely on baking rack & begin making the glaze.
- In food processor, mix lemon juice, salt, lemon zest, & cream cheese until smooth. Add oil & mix until combined.
- Pulse while adding powdered sugar, a little at a time. Mix until well incorporated.
- Dip each cooled cookie onto the glaze. Let it sit on the baking rack to drain off excess glaze. Enjoy!
Make sure to stop by Sweet Mandy B’s when you’re in Chicago for the most amazing selection of baked goods!