Everyone knows the typical Thanksgiving dessert is pie. Pumpkin, apple, pecan–you know the drill. It seems the second summer is over (still crying about that) everyone pushes those blueberries aside & everything becomes pumpkin this & pumpkin that. Which is great and all except it’s super awkward when everyone shows up to dinner with the same dessert. That’s why I developed this recipe. It’s still incredibly delicious (duh) & has a hint of cranberry in it so it technically goes with the Thanksgiving theme–in a super unexpected way.
The contrast of two tart fruits with a sweet pie crust is what dreams are made of. Top it off with some vanilla bean ice cream & you’re guaranteed to have brought the best ITEM (not just dessert) to the table.
p.s. save this recipe using the SAVE button on the recipe below & when summertime rolls around (please come soon) swap out the cranberry sauce for the same amount of strawberries & you’ve instantly got a new, fresh recipe!
- for pie crust:
- 2 cups ap flour
- 12 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup water
- for filling:
- 3 cups blueberries
- ¼ cup cranberry sauce
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1.5 tbsp butter
- Pinch of salt
- for topping:
- 1 egg, whisked
- In large mixing bowl combine salt & butter. Using electric mixer, beat butter until smooth.
- Add sugar, egg, & water. Continue mixing until combined.
- Gradually add flour 1 cup at a time & continue mixing until incorporated.
- Form ball of dough with your hands by kneading dough for roughly 4 minutes. Place dough back in bowl & cover with saran wrap. Place in fridge for 1 hour.
- Remove dough from fridge & place on a flat floured surface.
- Roll dough into thin (about ½ cm. thick) flat square. Use cookie cutter to cut out circle of dough.
- Spray cupcake tray with baking spray.
- Press each circle of dough into one cupcake mold (there may be excess dough on the top which is totally fine!).
- In medium saucepan, heat blueberries & butter over low heat until juicy (about 10 minutes).
- Pour blueberries & juice into mixing bowl & add cranberry sauce. Stir to combine.
- Add corn starch, sugar, lemon juice, & salt to mixture. Stir to combine.
- Fill each pie cup about ½ full of filling.
- Cut remaining dough into strips & cover pie cups by pressing edges of dough strips & excess dough from the cup together. Brush top of pies with whisked egg.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake pies for 25-30 minutes of until filling begins to bubble. Remove from oven & let cool completely. Carefully remove from cupcake tray, serve, & enjoy!
large circle cookie cutter (roughly 4 in.)