We can’t really put into words how happy this cake makes us. After all, have you ever seen a cake that doubles as dinner before?! We’ll take it! Made from three layers of cornbread as the “cake”, mashed potatoes as the “frosting”, & fried chicken as the “sprinkles” this “layered cake” is truly one of a kind. Not to mention it’s beyond simple to make. We used boxed cornbread, boxed mashed potatoes, & bought the fried chicken at the store so essentially if you do it our way, you’re just assembling the cake aka it shouldn’t take you long at all!
You know the day after Thanksgiving when you’re half in a food coma, half can’t stop running back to the fridge for leftovers? Well this year, take those leftovers & throw ’em into this cake recipe! Use any turkey, chicken, etc. you have as your toppings, the leftover mashed potatoes (or baked potatoes that you can mash yourself) as the frosting, you can even drizzle some cranberry sauce or gravy as icing on top! Just as long as you have the cornbread base & the potatoes as frosting, you can truly decorate this however you’d like. We used regular pecans around the bottom for an extra oomph but you can use candied ones, walnuts, even green beans if you’re looking to get extra crazy with the leftovers!
- 3 boxes of cornbread
- 4 boxes of mashed potatoes (you want about 30 oz. of mashed potatoes when you're finished)
- fried chicken
- Bake 3 boxes of cornbread separately according to box instructions in a circular pan. Let cool completely.
- Bake mashed potatoes according to box instructions. Combine all in one large mixing bowl. Place in fridge for minimum 4 hours.
- Place one cornbread in the center of the cake stand. Top with mashed potatoes, smooth it evenly with offset spatula, & then top with another cornbread. Repeat until all cornbreads have been used.
- Put mashed potatoes on top & around the sides of the cornbread using the offset spatula. Smooth with spatula. Top with fried chicken & decorate with pecans. Serve & enjoy!
9 x 3 circular baking pan
large mixing bowl
SAVE & PIN FOR LATER BELOW!