We always look for an excuse to have dessert for breakfast & this is the perfect excuse. Truth be told, it really isn’t an excuse at all since this hot chocolate smoothie recipe is actually much better for you than a typical hot cocoa. We swapped out the typical ingredients such as cow’s milk for almond milk & cocoa powder for unsweetened cocoa powder while adding in a splash of pure vanilla extract, honey, & oats to create a thicker, tastier smoothie texture. As a mixture of your favorite hot cocoa & chocolate smoothie, this is one chocolatey recipe you feel guilty about.
We topped our hot chocolate smoothie with chocolate syrup made from just a tiny bit of unsweetened cocoa powder & coconut oil. Simply mix together 2 tbsp melted coconut oil with 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder & voila you’ve got yourself a healthy alternative to typical chocolate sauce. Carob chips or cocoa nibs are another great topping alternative to keep this recipe tasty & healthy.
- 1½ cup unsweetened almond milk, divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2½ tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp honey
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- carob, cocoa, or chocolate chips
- Place oats in food processor. Puree until powder-like consistency. Place 1 cup almond milk, vanilla, cocoa powder, honey, & oats in blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into large jar or bowl, cover, & place in fridge overnight (about 8 hours or longer).
- Pour mixture into saucepan & bring to boil. Immediately after it begins to boil, remove from heat. Add in ½ cup almond milk & stir. Pour into mug (or heat safe glass), top with chips, serve, & enjoy!
large jar or bowl