LA people are crazy for a good coffee shops. It’s as though majority of them can survive purely off coffee & green juice, while totally being satisfied. I know, it’s crazy, especially for a midwestern girl who is used to people having deep dish for breakfast… That same girl who after just a few months of living in LA has adapted quite well (still having my fair share of pizza, dontcha worry!) & figured out which were the absolute best coffee shops to visit in LA. Below are my 5 favorite, for a variety of reasons, & what you should order at each one (food included!).
1. Alfred’s: If you’re on Instagram then there is no doubt in my mind you’re familiar with Alfred’s. Before you jump the gun & label this list as the most basic, hear me out. Aside from their picture worthy lattes & sceney cafes, Alfred’s also offers some of the most delicious drinks & treats out there. My advice? Skip the Saturday morning tourist rush & visit Alfred’s Tea Room or Alfred’s In The Alley (not the overcrowded one on Melrose) to enjoy everything they have to offer.
2. Bardonna: I like to think of Bardonna as a local LA’s coffee haven. Perhaps I’m the only one living under a rock but before I moved to LA I’d never heard of it. Two days into living in my new city & already I had 3 coffee meetings lined up at Bardonna 😂. Their truffle avocado toast is one of the best breakfast items I’ve ever had & my friends go crazy for their coffee.
3. Groundworks Coffee: So by now you’ve figured out I’m not much of a coffee person myself (honestly all I love is the smell of it) however I do love tea more than anything. Groundworks has the most extensive list of teas I’ve ever seen my favorite being their chai tea latte with unsweetened cashew milk. Oh & don’t leave without trying their vegan banana cookie. It’s a game-changer.
4. Joan’s On Third: I particularly like their Studio City location as it’s much more spacious & bright. While they don’t offer Wifi it’s a perfect place to sit down for an afternoon to knock out some emails on your phone or totally unwind with a journal & bite to eat (my personal favorite are their pickles-I know it sounds weird but trust me on this one).
5. Carrera Cafe: Another Instagram gem, this cute shop located in the heart of Melrose, allows you to put your face, your pups face, or even Ryan Gosling’s face on the top of your coffee. Nope, not on the lid, but in fact on the coffee itself. It’s pretty legendary & hysterical if you ask me.