This simple Pasta e Fagioli recipe is one of my favorite dishes to make for a quick yet filling meal that doesn’t take too long to make & surprisingly for a pasta dish, has nutritional benefits! It is a great go-to recipe given that all the ingredients are either fridge or pantry staples so you’ll likely be able to whip it up without having to go to the grocery store. A traditional Pasta e Fagioli recipe incorporates tomatoes or tomato sauce however this one focuses on a simple sauce made from water, cheese & the flavors of the onion & garlic cooked in extra-virgin olive oil along with the spices you’ll use: crushed chili flakes, sea salt, pepper. You, of course, can use whatever type of pasta you have on hand however this one is my favorite because the beans get stuck inside the noodles making for the perfect bite every single time.
SHOP THIS POST:
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- ¼ yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- pinch of crushed chili flakes (I use a generous pinch)
- 2 pinches of sea salt
- pinch of pepper
- ¾ cup water
- 1 can (15 oz) pinto beans
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb conchigle pasta (or pasta of your choice)
- In a large saucepan combine 2 tbsp EVOO with chopped onion & sliced garlic over medium heat. Sautee until onion is translucent & garlic is golden brown.
- In large pot, cook pasta according to box instructions. When pasta is done, add in the beans & stir occasionally while they cook together an additional 3 minutes.
- Strain pasta & beans. Add pasta & beans to your saucepan. Add in salt, pepper & chili flakes. Stir to combine.
- Add 1 cup of water to your saucepan & reduce heat to simmer. Let cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Slowly stir in the parmesan cheese. Serve & enjoy!
rubber spatula (or mixing spoon or wooden spoon)
PIN FOR LATER: