This classic chocolate chip cookie recipe is sure to be your new favorite! It has everything a chocolate chip cookies should have. It’s crispy around the edges, chewy in the center, the perfect ratio of chocolate to dough and flaky sea salt on top which helps bring out all the flavors within the cookie.
What Makes Cookies Chewy or Crispy?
There are a ton of ingredients that contribute to making a cookie either chewy or crispy. If you use cake flour, you’ll get a fluffier cookie but if you use all purpose flour, you’ll likely get a crispier cookie. This is due to the protein content in each flour. AP flour has a higher protein count than cake flour does. It also has to do with the acidity in the flour and how that reacts with the other ingredients. Another ingredient that helps determine which type of cookie you’ll get is the fat. In this cookie recipe, I used a lot of butter which has a low melting point meaning it will melt quickly and cause the cookies to spread. When they spread quickly, they’ll be thinner while baking thus causing a crispier cookie. There are many other ingredients that can contribute to chewy vs. crispy cookies (i.e. sugars, eggs, etc.) but for this recipe those are the main factors.
SHOP THIS POST:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- splash of vanilla extract
- 3 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1½ cups AP flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- In large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar. Mix together using a hand or stand mixer until fully incorporated (roughly 5 min).
- Mix in the eggs, flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and scoop the dough using an ice cream scooper onto baking sheet at least 2 in apart. Place in the fridge overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Bake for 12 minutes, serve and enjoy!
hand mixer (or stand mixer)
ice cream or cookie scooper
PIN FOR LATER:
That’s so interesting about the flour. Thank you for sharing. I just discovered how much I like saltiness with chocolate so I can’t wait to make (and eat!) these! There’s nothing as comforting as a warm chocolate chip cookie!!
Caitlin Lee says
Happy to help!! Enjoy!