You’ve made the cake. You even went as far to make the frosting. Now wow everyone by making the topping: sprinkles!
The best part about making sprinkles is it’s super easy. I’m talking, easier than making the cake, frosting, or most desserts in general for that matter. The bad part? They have to sit for 24 hours before you can declare them “sprinkles”. Thankfully, they’re just drying out during that time & it doesn’t involve any work on your end. Well, unless you count holding yourself back from eating them as work, which you probably should.
Another great thing about sprinkles is you can put them on anything: ice cream, cake, cookies, & when you’re out of all of those you can even top a bowl of cotton candy! Plus you can create them in any & every color you desire. Have I convinced you yet to try it for yourself? Good…the recipe is below!
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp egg white
- ½-1 tsp water
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (or another flavor such as mint!)
- food coloring
- In one of the mixing bowls combine sugar, salt, egg white, & vanilla.
- Mix until well combine. Add water if necessary. You'll want your mixture to be glossy & firm yet still storable.
- Split mixture into three bowls & add desired food coloring to each. Mix until well combined.
- Put one color of mixture into frosting bag & create straight lines of mixture on parchment paper (see below). Repeat with all colors.
- Let sprinkles sit out for 24 hours uncovered.
- Cut sprinkles into desired size. Enjoy!