With fall quickly approaching (ah!) it only seemed appropriate to celebrate the end of summer with a delicious dessert filled with all of my summertime favorites: flowers, macarons, & berries.
A naked cake is a super simple & trendy style that tastes as good as it looks! Filled with layers of frosting equal in size to the cake layers, you don’t even have to worry about getting the outside frosting smooth as it’s not covered in any!
- for the cake:
- 1 cup sweet butter, melted
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk (almond milk will work too!)
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- for the frosting:
- 3 stick salted butter, melted
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 4-6 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- for decorating:
- edible flowers
- hot fudge
- In mixing bowl, combine all cake ingredients. Stir until smooth & all ingredients are incorporated. Spray baking pans.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake cakes for 10-14 minutes or until toothpick is inserted & comes out clean. Let cakes cool completely.
- Place one layer of cake on cake stand. Top with frosting & smooth until even. Repeat with the rest of the cakes.
- With offset spatula, smooth sides & top of cake. Freeze for 10 minutes. Top with decorations of your choice. Enjoy!