I’m all about using ingredients I already have in the house lately. Maybe it’s due to the fact that I’m taking over every inch of every closet in my apartment (sorry roomie!) or the fact that I have enough condiments to open up my own hot dog shop but I just don’t see these recipes stopping anytime soon. Seriously, I have that. much. stuff.
So after contemplating what to do with the jar of red curry paste I decided on this soup recipe. I was super excited about this recipe to begin with as I love butternut squash. I’ve been wanting to incorporate it into one of my recipes as it just seems right this time of year. That and I can’t stop eating it–woo hoo finally a healthy food I actually like! As for the final result, I was super excited with how it turned out. The creamy texture paired with the sweetness of squash & the spice of the red chili is ideal. It truly is the perfect soup to cozy up with on the couch this fall. Or I guess you should probably serve it at a dinner party since it looks prettttty fancy!
- 24 oz butternut squash, pureed
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk, divided
- for garnish:
- red chili flakes
- shaved coconut
- pistachio, chopped
- In saucepan over medium heat, combine butternut squash, curry paste, garlic, oil, & brown sugar. Stir on & off for 25 minutes. Transfer mixture to food processor & puree until smooth.
- Saute onion over low-medium heat until translucent (roughly 8 minutes).
- Bring vegetable broth to boil & stir in mixture from blender. Lower heat & add in ½ cup coconut milk & onions. Optional: add in 1 tsp curry paste if spicier taste is desired. For sweeter soup leave as is.
- Let simmer for for 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until well combined.
- Once divided into serving bowls, drizzle remaining coconut milk over soup, garnish, & enjoy!