With Hanukkah being 8 nights of presents, food, family, friends, & more it’s easy to fall into a pattern of eating latkes & playing dreidel over & over again. Don’t get me wrong it truly is all fun & games but this recipe is the perfect way to spice up your Hanukkah feast. Using what you probably already have in the house, tons of latkes, you can create this extremely delicious burger.
Layered in between two latke patties (cooked as you normally would–recipe below) I put a burger patty, some lettuce for crunch, & a blue cheese with horseradish sauce that is beyond words. So no it isn’t kosher but it is super delicious & for those of you who celebrate Hanukkah (or not!) & don’t keep kosher this is one recipe you must try. The recipe below makes one burger but is super easy to multiply & make more. Plus you can use any toppings you’d like: beet horseradish sauce, tomato, bacon (so not kosher but tastes good!), etc.
- for the latkes:
- 2 white potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp matzo meal (alternative: flour)
- for the burger:
- 90 lean/10 fat burger patty
- for the toppings:
- 2 pieces of bibb lettuce
- 1 tomato, sliced
- bread & butter pickles
- for the dressing:
- ¼ cup chunky blue cheese
- ½ tsp horseradish sauce
- Shred potatoes in food processor or by hand using grater.
- Place shredded potatoes in large mixing bowl & strain using paper towel.
- Add in egg & matzo meal to potato mixture. Stir to combine.
- Pour evoo into skillet (just enough to cover bottom of the pan). Heat skillet over low-medium.
- Roll latke mixture into a ball shape with your hands & flatten out. Place 2-3 (depending on the size of your skillet) in the pan. Let cook roughly 2-3 minutes on each side or until entire latke is golden brown.
- Cook burger according to instructions. Typically burger patties precut can be cooked on a skillet over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until completely brown. Cooking meat depends on your preference & consuming undercooked meat can be hazardous to your health.
- Place burger on latke patty & top with lettuce.
- In mixing bowl, combine blue cheese & horseradish. Whisk to combine.
- Pour dressing over burger lettuce & top with second burger patty.
- Top or serve with pickles. Enjoy!
large mixing bowl
small mixing bowl