This month is the official Breast Cancer Awareness month & with the terrifying statistics on how many & how often people are affected by breast cancer we wanted to share a recipe that encouraged a healthier lifestyle & supplied you with some useful information. You may remember about a month or so ago we published our Pink Pitaya Smoothie recipe in partnership with FAB-U-WISH & The Pink Agenda which served the same purpose. In that post, we talked about changing our lifestyles for the better by altering our diet, exercising more frequently, & just being more aware in general. How have you been doing since then?! This recipe is just one of the ways we’re opting for a healthier diet as we’ve incorporated 4 vegetables into this one sushi roll!
Now you may be wondering where that fourth vegetable is. You see the carrots, avocado, & celery clearly inside the roll but the fourth? No where to be found. Except it’s actually the most prominent within this recipe! We got that beautiful pink color, the same as the breast cancer ribbon, that’s on the rice, spicy mayo, & ginger using beets! We simply pureed them aka turned it into a beet juice & then coated our food in it. It’s a sneaky way to add some nutritional value to any of your meals & to be honest we couldn’t even taste a difference. Not to mention it’s totally gorgeous…
Simple additions, such as adding beet juice to a recipe, make a huge difference. It allows you to gain extra nutrients that help keep our bodies healthy & functioning correctly. Some other ways we love to sneak healthy foods into our recipes are: broccoli in tomato sauce, spinach in any smoothie, & chopped kale in our dressings. Seriously you’ll never know any were there!
Aside from taking care of ourselves by eating right, working out, & being self aware, some ways we can help others are through The Pink Agenda & FAB-U-WISH. Funds given to The Pink Agenda support life-saving breast cancer research in the mission to find a cure in our lifetime. Funds given to FAB-U-WISH are split between granting wishes & finding a cure through research. Together, The Pink Agenda & FAB-U-WISH have granted over 100 wishes for women facing breast cancer.* Get involved: here & enjoy this recipe below!
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large beet
- 1 sheet of seaweed
- 2 cups & 3 tbsp water, divided
- 1½ cup sticky rice
- 1 avocado
- optional toppings:
- spicy mayo
- In medium pot combine rice & water. Bring to soft boil & then cover with lid. Let simmer for 20 minutes or until all the water has evaporated. (refer to specific rice brand instructions)
- Juice or puree beet with 3 tbsp water until smooth.
- Line bamboo mat with seaweed (shiny side up). Stir in 4 tbsp of beet juice onto rice adding more one tbsp at a time until you reach desired color. Wet hands & place about 1 cup of rice onto the center of the seaweed. Press it down until compact & covers the entire middle of the sheet. Leave about 1 inch on the top & bottom of the seaweed without rice. Flip seaweed sheet so rice is on bamboo near the bottom of the mat.
- Place your fillings in the bottom third of the sheet (avocado--sliced, celery, & carrot). Begin rolling seaweed starting from the bottom using the mat to guide you. Pinch the seaweed around the fillings so that it becomes tight & continue rolling with the mat until it is fully rolled. (it helps to push down with one hand while pulling the mat with your other hand)
- Cover roll with saran wrap & place seaweed seam side down. Wet your knife & begin slicing your roll into individual pieces. Remove saran wrap, serve, & enjoy!
- *To get ginger & spicy mayo pink, simply use some of the leftover beet juice 1 tbsp at a time & toss with desired ingredient you want pink.
juicer or food processor
bamboo sushi mat
*Facts courtesy of FAB-U-WISH.