One of my favorite pasta dishes ever is the Spicy Rigatoni at Carbone in New York City. It’s creamy, hearty, delicious, has a bit of a kick – basically everything you want in a pasta dish. However every time after I eat the dish, I’m in a bit of a food coma for the next few hours. That along with the fact that I can’t get the dish in LA (where I live) made me want to recreate it at home but with using cleaner ingredients & no dairy. I used the classic Carbone pasta shape but you can easily swap it for whatever pasta you have in the house or a gluten-free version if you prefer. After a few fails I finally recreated what I feel is the perfect better-for-you copycat Carbone spicy rigatoni! It’s super easy to make which is always a necessity for me & tastes incredible. I’m so excited to share this recipe with you all & hope you love it as much as I do!
SHOP THIS POST:
- ½ onion, sliced thin
- 3 tbsp dairy free yogurt (you want a neutral tasting one - nothing sweetened & not Greek)
- ¼ cup EVOO
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 14 oz can whole peeled tomatoes, drained & chopped
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp Calabrian chili paste
- ¼ tsp crunched red chili flakes
- ½ tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp honey, optional
- ½ box pasta (here is a link to the Carbone shaped pasta)
- In large skillet, combine onion, garlic & EVOO on medium heat. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add in the yogurt, tomato paste & stir until everything has combined.
- Add in the canned tomatoes, honey, coconut milk, chili paste, red chili flakes & sea salt. Stir everything together, bring to a boil & then let simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Strain & add to sauce. Serve & enjoy!
PIN FOR LATER: