This oatmeal chocolate cookie bars recipe is my favorite to prepare during some free time so I have them throughout the week. They make a perfect breakfast bar, snack option or even a great sweet treat for dessert.
How do you get granola bars to stick together?
This is a common question when it comes to making bars and for these, the answer is eggs and cashew butter. The eggs help bind ingredients together when baked and the cashew butter acts as a paste between the ingredients as well. You can use another type of nut butter if you prefer but I like cashew in this recipe as it has a pretty neutral taste which makes these taste more like a chocolate chip cookie.
SHOP THIS POST:
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup cashew butter (or almond or any other nut butter)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2½ cup oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips (make sure to use dairy-free if you’re keeping this recipe DF)
- flaky sea salt, topping optional
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In large mixing bowl, combine eggs, vanilla, sugar, cashew butter, oats, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine and stir in ½ cup chocolate chips.
- Line 9x9 baking dish with parchment paper. Spread oat mixture along parchment paper and bake for 20-22 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Melt remaining ½ cup chocolate chips and drizzle over the top of baked oat mixture. Let cool completely in fridge for 1 hour or overnight.
- Remove oats mixture from fridge & gently slice into desired size bars or bites. Serve and enjoy!
large mixing bowl
9x9 baking dish
PIN FOR LATER: