Using the dough from this ginormous recipe, the icing from this miniature recipe, & the caramel sauce from this delicious breakfast recipe I present to you PLSR’s latest hybrid recipe: apple pie cinnamon rolls. A combination of two classic American desserts, this recipe is one that’s acceptable to serve year-round. Replace your boring cinnamon rolls during those cold winter days, substitute it for a basic apple pie on the 4th, welcome fall with it’s true to season cinnamon flavors, & indulge in spring because why not!
While it technically is a time consuming recipe, majority of the time you’re just waiting for the dough to rise & the rolls to bake. Other than that, this recipe is far less intimidating than it may seem. The outcome is worth waiting for as the pillowy dough & crisp apple flavor is one heck of a combination.
- for the dough:
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup light almond milk (buttermilk will work too!)
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- for the filling:
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 4 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cinnamon, to taste
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, & chopped into tiny pieces
- caramel sauce, save extra to drizzle with icing! (1/4 stick butter, ½ cup brown sugar, & 1 tbsp corn syrup)
- for the icing:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Over low heat, combine butter & milk in medium saucepan. Stir until the butter is liquid & then pour mixture into large mixing bowl.
- Let mixture cool for 5 minutes or until temperature of warm bath water. Add in yeast & let activate for 10 minutes.
- Add in 1 tbsp granulated sugar & salt. Stir.
- Add in flour 1 cup at a time while stirring.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface & knead for one minute. Place ball of dough into sprayed mixing bowl, cover with plastic wrap, & place in warm area to rise until doubled in size.
- On lightly floured surface, flatten dough until about ½ inch wide & ¼ inch thick.
- In mixing bowl, combine all filling ingredients & sprinkle onto dough. (make caramel sauce by mixing ingredients in large skillet over medium heat until smooth)
- Starting at one end of the dough roll inwards towards other end of dough. Once it is in a log shape, slice with knife or floss into 1.5 inch rolls.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line circular baking dish with cinnamon rolls next to one another. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once rolls have cooled for about 5 minutes, in small bowl combine all icing ingredients. Drizzle over cinnamon rolls. Serve & enjoy!
3 large mixing bowl
9 inch circular baking dish
Looks good! I need to try this! Xo, Christianne
Thanks so much, Christianna!! Enjoy! xo
Amy Ann says
This looks so good!
Straight A Style
Thanks so much, Amy Ann!! Enjoy! xo
Biana @ Blovedboston says
So yummy! Thanks for sharing! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston
Thanks so much, Biana!! If you make them be sure to #PLSRfood so we can feature it! xo
kelsey bang says
oh my! this looks so tasty and delicious!
Thanks so much, Kelsey!! Enjoy! xo
Amber Shannon says
Ohhhh yes!! YUM!!
All the Cute
Thanks so much, Amber!! Enjoy! xo
Kashmir & Silk says
This looks so delicious ! Will have to try it !! 🙂 Xx
They were awesome, Kashmir & Silk!! You’ll enjoy them! xo