I used to be all about making layered cakes. Well, all about it once I learned how to make them. Before I bought the Wilton Layered Cake Set I thought it would be cool to make them in a regular cake pan. Have you ever tried that? It takes about 6x the batter, 4x the time, & 10x the effort. Not. Worth. It. This little savior has saved me tons of frustration & it’s under $20! Anyways, not sure why I went on a layered cake hiatus but they’re back & better than ever, people. In the past I’ve made layered cakes with cotton candy, dunkaroos, & a $h!+0N of candy so it only felt natural to have another throwback layered cake.
This throwback cake (as you can clearly see…) is topped with tons of circus cookies & basically looks like my 7th grade dream cake. Not much has changed because after one look & one bite, it’s still my dream cake. For you busy bees who don’t have time for a 9 step recipe (seriously one of the steps is turning on the oven..I think you can handle this) check out my no-bake circus cookie bars recipe. OK you should probably check that out anyways as it’s insanely good. Now I’m just dreaming of a circus cookie party. Cakes, cookie bars, the possibilities are endless.
- for cake:
- ½ cup salted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- 1¾ cup cake flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- non pareils (about 1 tsp per layered cake)
- 1 drop of pink food coloring, per cake
- for frosting:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- In large mixing bowl, combine all cake ingredients & whisk until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Pour equal amounts of batter into each Wilton Cake Pan Set.
- Stir mixture in each pan & bake for 15 minutes or until toothpick is inserted & comes out clean.
- Place pans in freezer for 20 minutes or until completely cooled. In medium mixing bowl, combine all frosting ingredients until smooth.
- If cakes are domed shape, cut the tops off with a bread knife. Cake layers need to be as straight as possible.
- Place first layer of cake on rotating cake stand & top with frosting.
- Repeat previous step with other layers of cake until the top is covered with frosting. Place in freezer for 30 minutes.
- With an offset spatula, frost the side of the cakes until smooth. Decorate with circus cookies & enjoy!
wilton cake pan set
medium mixing bowl
rotating cake stand